Images available for purchase, click here





Monday 1 September 2014

One Step

"The journey of one thousand miles starts with one step."
 

Quite a few of my close friends and family members have, at one time or another, taken a leap of faith, and it has worked out for the best. My Dad started his own travel agency many years ago. He will retire this month after many fulfilling years running a successful business. A dear friend moved half way across the planet to be with the man she loves, and my Brother has recently done the same to be with the woman he loves. Eleven years ago, my husband and I spent right down to our last dollar to buy 10 acres, then built our dream home from scratch as owner builders (get the full story here).

In December last year, I took another massive leap of faith that felt more like pole vaulting off a cliff, and probably made no sense to everyone around me. I had been working in a stable, government job for over 10 years. It was safe, comfortable, the type of job you could easily spend the rest of your working life in, and many people do. Though it seemed more than a little ludicrous at the time, I took just one step. I walked away from the safety of that job, with no real plan on what to do next, because it felt like the right thing to do at the time.

Fast forward eight months and I am healthier, happier, fitter and more fulfilled than I have been in a very long time. I have enjoyed having the time and space to be myself and do the things I love to do. To be totally honest, concern has been starting to grow about when (not if) the next step would appear. A job I really wanted narrowly slipped through my fingers, and I applied for many others that were much less appealing. Then one morning, an advertised vacancy appeared in my inbox that seemed tailor made just for me.
 
In a few short days I had applied, been offered an interview, then the position and accepted. I start in my new role in a few weeks and couldn’t be more excited. It looks like I have landed squarely on two feet. When have you taken a big step and it's worked out for the best? I would love to hear your comments!

Oh, and by the way, for those of you who aren’t familiar with this quote by Lao Tzu, it's an excerpt from the Tao Te Ching, what many say is the wisest book ever written. The next line is: “Take the step.”

Happy Monday J

Simpson desert, Queensland. © Renee Chamberlin all rights reserved.
Image available as prints, canvases, cards and more. To purchase click here

I would love to hear your comments& feedback: select "Anonymous" or "Name/URL" if you don't have a google account.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome inspiring article my friend - I've been on a similar journey these last few years and I know exactly how it feels. There is something super rewarding about choosing your OWN path!!! well done!!

    ReplyDelete